Departure Resources

The University Departure Policy for Employees and Affiliates encourages the facilitation of a coordinated and efficient exit process for individuals transferring and/or separating from the University. To assist with this transition process, supervisors and departing employees/affiliates are encouraged to utilize the following resources:

Exit Interview Survey

Your feedback is essential to assess and identify opportunities to improve employee experience and work environment. In an effort to further our workplace excellence and advance a culture valuing the contributions and aspirations of our employees, KU employees that are leaving or transferring to another unit are invited to participate in an anonymous, confidential Exit Interview Survey, at the link below. Information collected will provide valuable University-wide data that will be used to learn from and act upon for continuous improvement. If you are unable to complete the online survey, but wish to do so on paper, please contact


An overview of “Leaving Employment & Benefits Transition” is available at Leaving Employment or Losing Benefits-Eligibility. In addition, an employee can discuss health insurance questions, retirement eligibility, and other benefits issues with a University Benefits Specialist in Human Resources by calling 785-864-4946 or emailing

Employee Assistance Program

An employee having a difficult time due to receiving notice that their employment is ending, may consider contacting the Employee Assistance Program or your health plan for more information on available services or coverage. 

Paycheck and Leave

An employee will continue to have access to HR/Pay for up to 400 days past their termination date.This will allow access to paychecks to validate W-2 or to update address. Visit the Payroll website to learn how you can access your W-2.

Accrued vacation leave for employees appointed to regular positions will be paid up to a maximum allowable payout (176 hours) when the employee is terminated. If retirement eligible, the maximum allowable payout upon separation from service is 240 hours. Non-exempt staff will also be paid for any remaining balance of accrued compensatory hours and exempt staff will be paid for any holiday compensatory hours. Employees will not be paid for an unused discretionary day.

Unused sick leave is forfeited when employment from the state of Kansas is terminated for those who are not retirement eligible. The sick leave balance remaining at the time of termination will be reinstated for persons re-employed by University or State of Kansas service within one year of termination.

Seeking Employment

An employee that has received a notice that their employment is ending is not necessarily not barred from future University employment (unless they are expressly advised of a bar in writing). Postings can be found on the KU Employment website. The employee may schedule an appointment with a Senior Recruiter in Human Resources to discuss the job search process.

Pursuant to University’s Professional Development and University Service During Work Time policy, the supervisor and/or departmental unit are encouraged to work with an employee who is being non-reappointed to try to authorize on-campus interviews within work time or off-campus interviews with time off work as long as the time-period does not provide a hardship for the unit.

Unemployment Insurance Benefits

An employee that receives a notice of their employment ending, may be eligible for unemployment benefits. To avoid delay of unemployment benefits payments, it is important to file a claim as soon as possible following the last day at work.

Additional information about unemployment benefits and an application for unemployment benefits can made with the Kansas Department of Labor.

A retirement eligible employee that is considering applying for unemployment benefits is strongly encouraged to contact the Kansas Department of Labor to ask whether they should retire or terminate his/her employment relationship. Retirement may affect eligibility for unemployment benefits.

Employee Relations

Contact the Employee Relations team with any questions you may have about the notice of your position ending.


*An accessible version of the documents on this site will be made available upon request. Please contact our office at to request the document be made available in an accessible format.