Optional Group Life Insurance
Eligible employees can elect to supplement the basic group life insurance coverage that is paid for by the University with these optional group life insurance plans:
- State of Kansas Optional Group Life Insurance - Administered by the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS) (pdf)
- Teachers and Employees Association (TEA) Life Insurance
This Optional Group Life Insurance Plan (pdf) provides life insurance coverage in amounts that range from $5,000 to $400,000 in $5,000 increments. The plan is administered by KPERS and underwritten by The Standard Insurance Company.
New employees are eligible for an initial $250,000 of guaranteed coverage without proof of good health within 21 days of your date of hire. You must provide proof of good health for amounts over $250,000.
- Monthly premium rates for employee coverage
- Monthly premium rates for spousal coverage (pdf)
- Monthly premium rates for child(ren) coverage (pdf), up to age 26 There is no age limit with disabled dependents.
Optional life insurance premiums are automatically deducted from your pay on an after-tax basis.
Application to the program must be made within 30 days of the date of hire to be eligible for the guaranteed amount of $250,000. Any amounts applied for after the initial enrollment period will be subject to medical underwriting as any amounts over the $250,000. You also can enroll your spouse in up to $25,000 guaranteed issue or up to $100,000 with medical underwriting. You can elect spousal and/or child(ren) coverage even if you do not elect optional group life insurance coverage for yourself. (KP&F employees must have employee optional coverage to be eligible for spousal coverage.)
Download and complete the enrollment form (pdf) and send it to to the Benefits Office by fax to 785-864-5200, or by email to email@example.com, within 21 days of your hire date to ensure adequate processing time.
Additional Plan Information
- You can enroll your spouse in up to $25,000 guaranteed issue or up to $100,000 with medical underwriting. You can elect spousal coverage even if you do not elect optional group life insurance coverage for yourself. (KP&F employees must have employee optional coverage to be eligible for spousal coverage).
- You can enroll your child(ren)in up to $10,000 or $20,000 guaranteed issue without medical underwriting. You can elect child(ren) coverage even if you do not elect optional group life insurance coverage for yourself. (KP&F employees must have employee optional coverage to be eligible for child(ren) coverage).
The Teachers and Employee Association Term Life Insurance plan (pdf) provides optional life insurance protection in amounts from $10,000 to $500,000 in $10,000 increments. The plan is administered by the Teachers and Employees Association of the University of Kansas and underwritten by Reliance Standard.
New members are offered up to $100,000 of term life insurance, and up to $500,000 of accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) on a guaranteed issue (no medical question or exams) basis.
The option is available to faculty and staff who work at least 17.5 hours per week.
Visit Term Life Insurance and utilize the "Rate Calculator" located on the bottom left-hand side of the page to determine your monthly rate based on your preferred coverage options. Once enrolled, your premiums will be electronically withdrawn from your designated banking account on a monthly basis.
To enroll, visit Term Life Insurance and click on the "Apply Now" button located on the top right-hand side of the page.
Spousal and Child Coverage
- Your spouse is eligible for coverage to age 70 if you are an association member and your spouse is able to conduct the normal activities of a person of like age and gender, and is in good health.
- Spouses can apply for amounts of $5,000 to $250,000, in $5,000 increments. A spouse of a new member may apply for up to $50,000 of life insurance and $250,000 of AD&D on a guaranteed issue basis. Spouses are able to purchase a stand alone policy without the Member purchasing coverage.
- Child(ren)'s coverage is available up to $10,000, in $2,000 increments for both life insurance and AD&D on a guaranteed issue basis for new members. One premium covers all eligible children, ages 6 months to age 25.
*An accessible version of the documents on this site will be made available upon request. Please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the document be made available in an accessible format.