Undergraduate Students and ACA Eligiblity
The appointment of undergraduate students to student hourly job titles during the academic year, when classes are in session, shall not exceed the equivalent of a 50% full-time equivalency (FTE) appointment (20 hours weekly). The 20 hours limitation applies to total hours worked in all combined student hourly positions, excluding those funded by federal work study. Hours worked on positions funded by work study do not count toward eligibility. Students working exclusively in work study positions are able to work up to 30 hours per week while classes are in session. Appointment(s) of undergraduates to student hourly job titles during the summer, or when classes are not in session, may be at a 100% full-time equivalency (FTE), or 40 hours per week.
Time Reporting for ACA
- Undergraduate Student Time Reporting Brochure for ACA (pdf) - This chart describes how time is tracked and ACA-Eligibility is determined for undergraduate student employees.
- How to Report Leave without Pay for Regular Hourly Employees - This guide is intended for hourly employees who have been informed they will need to enter leave without pay (LWOP), in HR/Pay. If you are an hourly employee who has not been asked to enter LWOP, please disregard this guide.
- How to Report ACA Hours when Required for Salaried Employees: Salaried employees who are not instructorsshould contact the HR/Pay team for assistance with reporting hours worked for the purpose of determining ACA eligibility.
- Employee Eligibility Requirements for the ACA - This KU policy outlines employee eligibility for health insurance under the State Employee Health Plan pursuant to the provisions of the ACA.
- Student Employee Eligibility Requirements and Appointment Limits - This KU policy outlines the eligibility criteria and maximum appointment levels for student employment.
For more information on the Kansas Board of Regents' student health insurance plan offered to students at the University of Kansas, including premium amounts and how to enroll, please visit UnitedHealthcare StudentResources.
*An accessible version of the documents on this site will be made available upon request. Please contact our office at email@example.com to request the document be made available in an accessible format.