Aspiring Leaders Program
The Aspiring Leaders Program is a step on the Developing Leaders path on the KU Leadership Roadmap. Underpinning the program is the belief that deep awareness of self is required to be an effective leader. Therefore, participants engage in clarifying their strengths, developing their ability to manage self, and engaging the practice of leadership through a reflective and intentional pursuit.
The program does not address how to supervise and/or lead others. Its focus, rather, is on a multi-faceted learning and understanding of self as it pertains to leadership. Those interested specifically in supervision or more advanced leadership courses are encouraged to consider enrolling in STEP - Supervisory Training for Excellence in Performance 3.0 or applying for the Staff Fellows program.
Participants are required to attend each session in the program. Each one highlights a leadership topic aligned with the university competencies, including personal and professional effectiveness, communication, change management, building relationships, strategic thinking, and problem solving. Sessions also include individual and group discussions and activities, with practical strategies to apply in your own organization.
Participants are also required to devote time outside of the class sessions for reading assignments, engaging with their accountability group, and attending personalized coaching sessions.
The application period for the 2023 cohort will be open from October 3, 2022, to October 28, 2022. Please use the link in the sidebar to access the application form. A select pool of applicants will be asked to meet with a review committee for a short interview. Following the full review process, a small group is selected. The 2023 cohort will be announced in December 2022.
The Aspiring Leaders program is open to all KU staff members who:
- have at least one year of employment at KU
- do not currently have a formal title of leadership
- are recommended by their supervisor and have permission to use work time for program activities
- commit to attend all sessions and complete all assigned activities
- demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to their work and aspire to build their capacity as a leader
The departments of those accepted are required to pay a materials fee of $175.00.
- The program will run from January - June, 2023.
- Class dates are on the following Wednesdays in 2023: January 25, February 15, March 8, March 29, April 19, May 10, May 31, and June 21.
This program is primarily for professional development and leadership growth. There is no stipend for this experience, nor is there an expectation that program participants receive preference in job searches at KU.