Empowering a Community of Excellence
  • Home
  • Leaving Employment & Benefits Transition

Leaving Employment & Benefits Transition


Group Health Insurance Coverage

If a member terminates employment on the 1st day of the month, State Employee Health Plan (SEHP) benefits also terminate on the 1st of the month. HSA & FSA contributions will be deducted from the first check of the month for a member terminating on the 1st day of the month.

If a member terminates on the 2nd day of the month or later, SEHP benefits will terminate at the end of the month.  SEHP deductions will be taken from both the first and second checks of the month. Employees are responsible for the semi-monthly premium deductions to ensure coverage to the end of the month.

COBRA Continuation of Health Insurance

Information on COBRA coverage (including Contact directory and Rates) can be found on the SEHP website.  The calendar year 2021 COBRA Guide and the 2020 COBRA Guide

TASC will send a letter to your home address as it appears in the MAP portal.  That letter will include the COBRA application along with the premium payment information. The SEHP manual states:  “Within 21 days of SEHP Membership Services receiving notification of the Qualifying Event, the qualified Beneficiary will receive specific information from the third party COBRA administrator, including a COBRA Enrollment Form setting forth the requirements for continuing insurance coverage, the plans available, and the applicable premium rates.”

You will have 60 days from the following dates by which to elect COBRA continuation coverage:  1) date of the COBRA letter or 2) date of retirement from employment. If you return the COBRA application by the deadline specified in the COBRA letter, your coverage will be retroactive and effective the first day following your loss of SEHP coverage.

Please note it can take 5 business days to activate coverage after payment is submitted. The first months COBRA coverage payment must be paid by check and mailed.  All subsequent payments will be set up as automatic bank withdrawals.  If not yet active or if you have COBRA enrollment questions, please call TASC at 1-800-422-4661 (press * to be connected to COBRA customer support).

Access your Letter Online: 

Once the SEHP processes your separation information, you can access your COBRA enrollment information and account at MyTASC online account at www.tasconline.com. You will receive login information with the offer by mail. If you have any enrollment questions or to retrieve online enrollment information, please call 1-800-422-4661 for assistance.

Enrolling in Spouse's or Parent's SEHP Coverage

Spouse/Parent will have 30 calendar days from your last day (date of qualifying event) to make the change directly in MAP, using the "Mid-Year Benefit Changes" tab and upload any required documentation to support the change (i.e., a marriage license, birth certificate, etc.)  If you do not take timely action, or if you do not provide the required supporting documentation, the SEHP will deny your change request.  For mid-year changes MAP instructions, please visit Mid Year Changes Step-by-Step Guide. Please contact the Benefits Office (benefits@ku.edu or 785-864-7402) if you have any questions or need assistance.

Enrolling in Other Health Coverage 

The TASC informational packet will include a letter confirming last day of coverage for all members on your current coverage. You will receive this letter by federal mail within 21 days of the SEHP receiving information about the Qualifying Event that results in your loss of coverage.

You can access your COBRA enrollment information and account at MyTASC online account at www.tasconline.com. You will receive login information with the offer by mail. If you have any enrollment questions or to retrieve online enrollment information, please call  TASC at 1-800-422-4661 for assistance.

For time-sensitive requests due to enrollment in spouse/parent/private coverage, please submit your request to benefits@ku.edu. Please note last day will be verified in HR Pay, keyed when last paycheck is in process. 

Transferring to Another State Agency

If you transfer from one state agency to another with no break in service, you will have continuous group health insurance coverage. If the break in service is 30 calendar days or less, your effective date of coverage is the 1st day of the month following your rehire date (if you had SEHP coverage in effect prior to your break in service). If your rehire date is the 1st day of the month, your coverage effective date will be that day. 

Please note if you end employment on a Friday and start with other agency on a Monday, this is considered a break in service. Please notify both your new agency's Benefits office and KU Benefits of your transfer status and effective last date / start date to coordinate efforts. 

For more information, please submit your inquiry to benefits@ku.edu or call 785-864-7402.

If you have not received the COBRA information by 30 days from this email date, please contact benefits@ku.edu so that we can follow up with SEHP.


Group Life Insurance Coverage

Your basic group life insurance coverage will end the last day of the pay period in which you terminate employment.  There is a 60-day grace period in which you may apply to convert your coverage to a new individual life insurance policy. If you have optional group life insurance, that coverage will end on the last day of the month in which you terminate employment. 

You may also choose to continue all or a portion of your life insurance coverage as a term life policy through a portability provision. You have a 60-day grace period in which to apply to “port” your coverage. 

Conversion and Portability applications and information can be found at the following links:

Portable group term life insurance

Individual whole life insurance

Please return the application to Standard Life at the address or fax number provided on the form.  If you have quesitons, please contact Standard at 1-844-289-2306 or email kpersadmin@standard.com.

If you want information about continuing life insurance coverage for your dependent, please complete and submit the portable form:

Portable group term life insurance


Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) Mandatory and Voluntary 403(b) Retirement Program

If you wish to access your retirement funds, you will need to utilize planwithease.com, the plan administration service that acts on behalf of KBOR to review and approve distribution transaction requests.  To learn more about planwithease.com, please visit the Accessing KBOR Retirement Funds website

If you plan to access your retirement account or process a direct transfer, please ensure that all contributions from paychecks, including leave payouts, have been deposited into your account.  If you remain an employee at any of the KBOR State universities or the Board Office (even if in a temporary and/or non-benefits eligible position), you will not be authorized access to funds.  When you are no longer employed by KBOR, you may use planwithease.com to access funds.

If you are accessing funds because your employment has ended, you will not be able to print a certification letter in planwithease.com until at least five working days after the date of your last paycheck.


Kansas Public Employees Retirement Sytems (KPERS)

You can withdraw retirement contributions after 31 days of your termination date through completion of an Application for Withdrawal of Contributions. Please return the completed application to KPERS and allow four weeks for payment. For additional questions, please contact KPERS ar 1-888-275-5737 or kpers@kpers.org.  

Please visit the KPERS website and review the information for your particular KPERS Tier Group (there's information to help you determine your Tier Group if you are not certain). 

If you are Vested, you are guaranteed a monthly retirement benefit for the rest of your life if you leave your contributions in your account. Often, if you have a significant amount of service, your benefit is more valuable than your actual contributions. If you keep your contributions with KPERS, you can apply for retirement benefits when you become eligible. If you do not withdraw, and you return to KPERS covered employment, you will immediately become an active member again and keep your service credit. 

If you are Not Vested, you are not guaranteed a retirement benefit. You need to withdraw your account within 5 years. After 5 years, your contributions stop earning interest and you forfeit your service credit.  If you do not withdraw or retire and you return to employment within 5 years, you will immediately become an active member again and keep your service credit.


Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

Overview Handout

The Employee Assistance Program may be available to you, dependents and other family members living in the same household for up to six months after your separation of employment. With a single call to 1-888-275-1205 (option 1), you and your family members can receive confidential assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week at no cost to you.  For more information, visit the SEHP Employee Assistance Program page.  

Leave Payouts

Visit Vacation Leave Payout for information about the hours that will be paid at termination of employment.  Sick Leave is only paid at retirement or retirement eligibility.  Discretionary Day is not paid if not used.  Comp Time hours are paid at termination of employment. For more information, please contact HR/Pay Help Desk at 785-864-0600 or hrpay@ku.edu.

Email & Accounts 

Unless deactivated at an earlier date upon request of the Department, KU email account access is retained for 210 days after departure. At 240 days, the inbox is deleted and the user will drop from the address book.  Per the University’s Electronic Mail Policy “The University supports a climate of trust and respect and does not ordinarily read, monitor, or screen electronic mail. However, complete confidentiality or privacy of email cannot be guaranteed. Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed because of the nature of the medium, the need for authorized staff to maintain email systems, and the University's accountability as a public institution. . . . KU email accounts remain the property of the State of Kansas. The University routinely disables accounts after graduation or termination from the University.”

Exceptions - KU Online ID & Select Services: Your KU Online ID will not be deleted and you will continue to have access to the myKU portal and select KU online services, including Blackboard and Enroll & Pay. This allows you to access your employment, financial, grade and other information as needed in the future.

Exceptions - Formally Retired Faculty & Staff: Faculty and staff who formally retire from the University by completing the retirement process and paperwork via KU Human Resources may permanently retain their KU email address (i.e., @ku.edu). Faculty and staff who leave the University without completing the formal retirement process and paperwork will lose access to most services and accounts 210 days after they leave the University as stated above.

For more information, support is available through the KU Email page or you can reach KU IT Customer Service Center at itcsc@ku.edu or 785-864-8080. 


Off-Boarding Checklist

Human Resource Management (HRM) provides a checklist for employees transferring or separating from University employment.

Off-Boarding Checklist for Employees

Need Help? Ask Us!
Search for HRM Policies

Visit the Policy Office for more information.

HRM Calendars
KU Today

Clipboard with self identifications options: Veteran Status, Disability, Ethnic Groups, Personal Data, KU Directory