Student Hourly Employment
Student hourly employees are an important part of KU’s workforce. These employment opportunities provide our students transferrable work-related skills and supports departments with critical staffing resources.
Units wishing to hire a student hourly employee have the following responsibilities:
- Identifying budget resources for salary and fringe.
- Creating a job description that represents the job duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Understanding University policies related to student employees:
- Work eligibility
- Hours limits
- Staff, Faculty and Student hiring ranges
- Remote Work Restrictions
- Exploring and understanding Work Study guidelines.
Supervisors of student hourly employees are required to follow all federal, state and University policies related to employment terms. Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Establishing a work schedule.
- Reviewing and approving work hours for pay each pay period by the stated deadlines.
- Defining goals, providing resources, and training.
- Evaluating work product.
- Providing coaching, mentorship and addressing performance and/or conduct matters.
- Providing a workplace climate that encourages a sense of belonging.
- Managing compensation changes or increases based on performance, longevity, increased education, certification, or experience.
- Understanding remote work restrictions and how they apply to students.
Other Student Employee Information