Empowering a Community of Excellence
  • Home
  • Learn & Develop
  • Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance for Employees

The purpose of the tuition assistance program is to promote and encourage the pursuit of higher education opportunities and professional development. KU provides eligible employees with assistance to cover tuition for one class (up to 5 hours) per semester.  Employees are encouraged to review the Tuition Assistance Program Policy . For additional information, please refer to the Tuition Assistance FAQs.

Receiving a tuition assistance award does not guarantee an employee admission to the University of Kansas. The employee must complete an application for admission by the start of classes.

Faculty/Staff Eligibility

  • The requesting employee must be a non-tenure-track faculty or a staff member with an appointment to a regular position with 48% or greater FTE and one year of continuous KU employment by the start of classes.
  • A tenure-track faculty member is generally ineligible to receive tuition assistance. However, in special circumstances and at the discretion of Human Resource Management (HRM) in consultation with the Provost Office, a tenure-track faculty member may be considered eligible for tuition assistance.  
  • The requesting faculty/staff member must also have a most recent performance evaluation rating of at least “meets expectations” or its equivalent for faculty and have not been subject to disciplinary actions or academic misconduct within the last 12 months.  HRM and the supervisor determine the eligibility based on performance whereas the Policy Office determines academic misconduct status.
  • The requesting employee does not have to be degree seeking to participate in the Tuition Assistance program.
  • Employees who have received an official notice that their employment is ending or projected to end will be deemed ineligible for tuition assistance if their position will end during or before the start of the semester for which they are requesting tuition assistance.
  • Affiliates are not eligible for the University’s Tuition Assistance program.
  • Eligible employees must not have been subject to disciplinary action (suspension, involuntary demotion, and dismissal).
  • Eligible employees must not have been subject to academic misconduct within the last twelve months.

Once accepted for tuition assistance, faculty/staff must satisfy the additional following criteria to maintain eligibility for subsequent tuition assistance.

  • An employee must receive a C or above for undergraduate courses funded by tuition assistance and a B or above for graduate courses funded by tuition assistance. An employee may also take classes on a pass/fail basis. Employees who do not achieve these grades will be required to complete 6 credit hours at their own expense before being eligible for tuition assistance again.
  • Applicants must authorize HRM to have access to their grades (or credit) for past courses supported by the tuition assistance program.
  • Faculty/Staff with incompletes in a tuition assistance funded courses are not eligible to receive additional funding until the incomplete is resolved.
  • In the event a tuition assistance recipient is unable to complete the enrolled course, withdraws from the course, or the recipient’s employment with the University ends before the end of the semester, it becomes the obligation of the recipient to repay any tuition that is not refunded to the University. Recipients of tuition assistance may review their account balances online at Enroll & Pay under “Campus Finances.”

Courses Eligible for Tuition Assistance Coverage

HRM may deny applications for courses not covered. HRM will grant Tuition assistance for outside institutions only if KU does not offer the course, or its equivalent, as determined by HRM and Enrollment Management. HRM will consider any exception on a case-by-case basis. In the event HRM awards tuition assistance for a class at an alternate educational institution, the amount of the total award will not exceed KU’s equivalent tuition rate. Any fees required by an alternate educational institution will be the participant’s responsibility.

Courses covered:

  • Eligible KU course (one course, up to 5 hours)
  • Courses at other State of Kansas post-secondary educational institutions when an employee’s work location is in a different county, or KU does not offer a comparable program
  • Both undergraduate and post-baccalaureate level courses
  • College credit classes for professional development purposes or personal enrichment
  • Classes that are taken for a grade or credit
  • Independent Study and distance education courses through KU Continuing Education may be approved on a case by case basis (program requirements must be addressed by the applicant)
  • On-line library science and instructional design classes through Emporia State University
  • Vocational classes for- credit at area vocational schools or Johnson County Community college
  • For-credit classes at Johnson County Community College (JCCC)
  • KU thesis and dissertation hours on a limited basis. The maximum number of hours covered through this program include six (6) credit hours for a Master’s thesis or nine (9) credit hours for a doctoral dissertation.
  • Employees interested in completing the General Educational Development (GED) test may apply to the tuition assistance program to cover the costs of the test. Due to timeframe differences, employees interested in applying to the tuition assistance program for this purpose should contact HRM directly via e-mail and do not have to adhere to the same application deadline schedule as required for regular tuition assistance applications.

Ineligible Courses at KU and Other Institutions:

  • Accelerated degree programs at other universities
  • Internships
  • Audited classes that are assessed tuition payment
  • Classes through other universities and colleges, unless previously approved by the tuition assistance committee.
  • Professional development seminars or test preparation classes.
  • KU’s PUAD 660 and PUAD 661 because the Certified Public Manager (CPM) Program, a series of non-credit workshops, also covers the subject matter of these courses.  The CPM program is a professional development opportunity rather than academic courses; therefore, KU provides no Tuition Assistance. 
  • The same course cannot be retaken unless the class is “readings, topics or seminars” with different subjects.

Applicant and Recipient Responsibilities

Receiving a tuition assistance award does not guarantee an employee admission to the University of Kansas. The employee must complete an application for admission by the start of classes.

An employee must submit a complete tuition assistance application by the specified deadlines as described below for each term (fall, spring, and summer) the employee wishes to request tuition assistance, regardless of whether or not the class meets during the work shift.

Application Deadlines:

  • Fall: First Friday in July by 5:00 p.m. (If this day falls on a National Holiday, then the deadline will be the following Monday)
  • Spring: First Friday in November by 5:00 p.m.
  • Summer: First Friday in April by 5:00 p.m.

Employees who submit incomplete and/or late applications will be ineligible for tuition assistance. 

Required Application Materials:

Please submit the following required materials with each application.  

  • A short statement from the employee’s supervisor showing support. The supervisor must sign and date the statement of support. Departments and supervisors are encouraged to facilitate academic course attendance and also maintain the normal functions of the position and the department. 
  • If the applicant has previously been approved for Tuition Assistance at the University of Kansas, the applicant must provide an Advising Report.  Instructions on pulling an advising report can be found on the Advising Report Tutorial.  If applying for the first time, please provide an unofficial transcript of your most recent education.
  • If the applicant has previously been approved for Tuition Assistance at another institution, the applicant must provide proof of grade for any tuition assistance approved courses.
  • Applicants must authorize HRM access to their grades (or credit) for past courses supported by the tuition assistance program.

Application Form:

The Electronic Tuition Assistance Application

Deadline to Enroll and Receive Tuition Assistance:

  • The tuition assistance recipient must enroll in the tuition assistance approved course prior to the start of classes. If the recipient fails to enroll in the course prior to the start of classes, tuition assistance will not be applied to the recipient’s account.

Notification from Applicant of changes to Tuition Assistance Award:

An applicant who has been awarded tuition assistance must provide HRM notification of any changes to the applicant’s tuition assistance award following the deadlines described as follows:

  • If an applicant is approved for tuition assistance but decides not to enroll in the tuition assistance course, the tuition assistance recipient must notify HRM of this decision in writing to hrdept@ku.edu prior to the first day of classes
  • If a tuition assistance recipient decides to change the course for which tuition assistance was received, the recipient must notify HRM of the requested class change prior to the add/drop date using the Course Change Request Form.


Selection/Approval Information

KU will apply approved Tuition Assistance only to tuition costs; any course fees are the responsibility of the recipient. KU campus fees are automatically covered with the “staff rates” applicable to KU faculty and staff. KU will award approved Tuition Assistance for an amount that will not exceed KU’s equivalent tuition rate.   Tuition assistance is subject to the availability of funding and the number of qualified applicants.

Withdrawing from Classes

If an employee needs to withdraw from a class:

Please notify HRM by email at hrdept@ku.edu or by phone at 785-864-4946 of the decision to withdraw. The recipient must repay any tuition not refunded to the University.


Need Help? Ask Us!
JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Talent Development
Login to Success Factors Talent Development

Search for HRM Policies

Visit the Policy Office for more information.

HRM Calendars
KU Today