Tuition Assistance FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

No, there is an application process that is necessary for the Tuition Assistance Program. Deadlines for making application are listed on the application form. The program may also have limits on numbers of awards given based on the availability of funds.  So far the number of applicants has not exceeded program funds.

This program is available to University Support Staff, Unclassified Professional Staff, and faculty appointed to a 48% or greater regular appointment who will have completed 6 months of service as of September 1 for the Fall semester: February 1 for the Spring semester; or June 1 for the Summer term.

KU provides eligible employees with assistance to cover up to 12 credit hours per calendar year. How that is split up per semester is at the discretion of the employee. 

This program does not extend to family members.  Employee Dependent Tuition Assistance information is available on the Financial Aid and Scholarships webpage.

Taking classes at KU is strongly encouraged; however, the committee recognizes that some programs are not offered on this campus. If a related program is not available at KU an exception may be granted in some cases to cover other Kansas Board of Regents schools. The committee will also consider making exceptions when employees live and work outside the Lawrence area.  However, in all cases, the tuition amounts paid by the Tuition Assistance Program will not exceed resident tuition rates for KU.

No, some staff that may benefit from classes in a vocational or technical field (e.g. air conditioning, electronics, printing, etc.)  If a university or junior college offers the class and awards college credit, it will be considered. Any exceptions must be reviewed by Human Resource Management.

Supervisors, consistent with the needs of the department, may permit employees to take courses during normal working hours, if the time can be made up or flexible work hours can be granted (non-exempt staff) and/or the responsibilities of the job are met (exempt staff).  Department’s are encouraged to make every effort to accommodate a staff member’s request to attend a course and should consider such factors as scheduling flexibility, work load, availability of other staff for coverage and the number of other requests from employees.

Approval for tuition assistance does not guarantee admission. You must be admitted to the University in order to take classes by the time the semester for which you are applying begins. For more information about applying, undergraduate admissions information can be found here, and graduate admission information can be found here.

Voluntary resignation of employment or withdrawal from a course prior to the 60th class day (Fall and Spring) or at any time during the summer session, expulsion, or a finding of academic misconduct will void the Employee Tuition Assistance Program award and will require the employee to repay the University the applicable amount of the award received for that semester.  No tuition adjustment is required if a class is dropped before the semester begins, but you must notify Human Resource Management of the change in writing at

Tuition assistance is an employee benefit. If you voluntarily leave KU employment, after the 60th class day (Fall and Spring) or at any time during the summer session, Employee Tuition Assistance Program award will void the and will require the employee to repay the University the applicable amount of the award received for that semester.   Individuals in the program whose positions end early due to lack of funds or restructuring will not be required to repay their tuition, as long as they are employed for the majority of the semester and if they were not aware of their position ending until after Tuition assistance was awarded.  

Seminars and conferences are a professional development activity and should be paid for by your department, contingent upon the availability of funding. This program also does not cover KU’s PUAD 660 and PUAD 661.  Alternatively, contingent upon funding, you can apply for professional development funds through the Jeanette Johnson Staff Development Fund.

Online classes listed in KU’s Schedule of Classes, and taken for college credit, can be covered.

To remain in compliance as an Educational Assistance Program as defined in Internal Revenue Code 127.  Tuition and fees sponsored by the Employee Tuition Assistance Program, that exceed $5,250, will be reported as taxable income on the employee’s W2.

Employees who have a pattern of receiving incompletes or failing grades in tuition assistance approved courses may have future tuition assistance denied.