The Shared Leave Program allows an employee to donate sick and/or vacation leave to another qualified employee who is out of leave (or nearly out of leave) and experiencing (or caring for a family member who is experiencing) an extreme, or life threatening illness or injury.
Shared leave will only be granted for extreme, or life-threatening illnesses, injuries, impairments or physical or mental conditions which have caused, or are likely to cause, you to take leave without pay or terminate employment. Shared Leave will not be granted for common or minor illnesses, injuries, impairments or physical or mental conditions.
All faculty and staff who are appointed to a regular position and meet the following requirements are eligible to participate in the shared leave program as leave recipients or as donors:
- You have, or are caring for a family member who has, an extreme, or life-threatening illness, injury, impairment or physical or mental condition, which makes you unable to perform your regular work duties;
- The above condition has caused, or is it likely to cause you to take leave without pay or terminate employment (because you are out of leave or will be out of leave);
- You have six months of continuous regular service with the State of Kansas;
- Have a satisfactory attendance record for the 12 months prior to any shared leave approval. Unsatisfactory attendance includes but is not limited to: documented discipline (Written Reprimand, Suspension, Involuntary Demotion, Dismissal) for attendance (to include unauthorized breaks during the work shift) and/or placement on attendance restrictions;
- Have not been subject to disciplinary action (Suspension, Involuntary Demotion, Dismissal) within the 12 months prior to any shared leave approval, as determined by HRM;
- Have a satisfactory (or meets expectations) or higher on the most recent performance evaluation.
Requesting Shared Leave
To request shared leave, please carefully follow and complete the following guidelines:
- Read KU’s Shared Leave Guide » and the Shared Leave Policy.
- Obtain a copy of the Shared Leave Request Form.
- Review Shared Leave Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
- Complete Part I of the Shared Leave Request Form.
- Forward the Shared Leave Request Form to a Health Care Provider (HCP) to complete Part II.
- Submit the Shared Leave Request Form (after completing both Part I and Part II) to HRM by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 785-864-5790.
Review and Determination
HRM will pre-screen your shared leave request for eligibility. If your request meets eligibility requirements, the Shared Leave Committee (SLC) will then approve, disapprove, or return the request to you for additional information or clarification.
Please note, requests received by HRM before 5:00 p.m. on Thursday will be reviewed by the SLC and a determination will be made by 5:00 p.m. on Friday the following week. Requests received by HRM after 5:00 p.m. on Thursday will be reviewed by the SLC and a determination will be made by 5:00 p.m. two weeks after the date it was submitted.
Shared Leave Donations
Donations of leave must be made in full-hour increments using the Shared Leave Donation Form. If you are a staff member and wish to donate, you must have a vacation leave balance of at least 80 hours after the donation is made. If you are a faculty or staff member and wish to donate, you must have a sick leave balance of at least 480 hours after the donation is made. Faculty are only allowed to donate sick leave, with a maximum donation of 80 hours per fiscal year. The leave balance requirements are not applicable if the employee is separating from employment with the University.
Please review the Shared Leave Policy » for more information about the Shared Leave Program, eligibility, and exclusions.