Maintaining H-1B Status

Keep Your Address Current With USCIS

All H-1B's are required to report a change of address directly to USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) by completing Form AR-11 online with USCIS within 10 days of moving to a new address.

In addition to notifying USCIS of a change of address, please update your address information in "HR Pay Self Service" so that the university has your correct current home address on file.

If you are a fully remote employee who works from home your address is also your worksite address and any changes to that address will likely require an H-1B amendment be filed by KU with USCIS prior to you moving to and working from a new address.

Maintain Your Employment Activities & Report Anticipated Changes

H-1B petitions are employer and position specific, which means that you are authorized by USCIS to work only at KU in a specific position at a specific worksite location. Contact HR for consultation prior to any changes in H-1B employment such as job title, duties, requirements, salary, percentage of FTE, or worksite location. Filing an amended H-1B petition may be required PRIOR to any changes in your work activities. For fully remote employees working at home from a non-Lawrence, KS worksite location an H-1B amendment may be required before you move to a new location.  Please contact HR for consultation.

Maintain Valid Documents

While in the US, make sure that your passport remains valid at least six months into the future at all times.

Check your I-94 admissions record (download and print your I-94) or I-797 approval notice (for individuals who have changed status to H-1B while in the U.S. who have not yet traveled outside the U.S.) to make sure that your H-1B status expiration date is always valid into the future

You should download and print your I-94 record each time after returning to the U.S. from an international trip, as your H-1B expiration date may change depending on how your arrival in the U.S. was processed

No External Employment Permitted

H-1B employees may not accept compensation, including honoraria, from any other entity besides KU. Individuals in H-1B status invited to give a lecture, collaborate, conduct research, or present at another institution can receive reimbursement for reasonable living and transportation costs only, no honorarium or payment are permitted.

Ending H-1B Status

Please contact HR to inform us of your intention to end your employment at KU. If you have had a change of immigration status to permanent resident or another valid immigration status, please let us know so that we can complete your H-1B record.

Departing the U.S.

Depart the U.S. by the expiration of your H-1B status, or seek a timely extension of your H-1B status before your current H-1B authorization expires.

Always keep a copy of your I-797 Approval Notice and I-94 departure record so that you know when your H-1B status expires

If you have any questions about when your H-1B status expires, contact