Mid-Year Benefits Changes

If you experience a change in your personal or work life that impacts your State Employee Health Plan (SEHP) benefit elections, KU Benefits is ready to help you navigate the change process. Please see the notes below to help you make Mid-Year changes to your benefit elections.

All changes require you to enter your request into the Membership Administration Portal (MAP) within 30 calendar days from the date of family status change.

Required documentation to request a Mid-Year Change

The following items are appropriate supporting documentation required to be uploaded into MAP with the Enrollment or Change Request when adding or removing eligible individuals. Listed below you will find the most common Mid-Year Changes. Additional Changes can be found in the State  Administration Manual (pdf) starting on page 18.

Change in Family StatusType of DocumentationDocumentation to add person(s) to Insurance
MarriageMarriage License Completed in EnglishSpouse and stepchild

Birth certificate or hospital birth announcement in English.

Note:If you add a newborn to coverage, you will need to provide a Social Security Number. Until you receive the actual SSN, youcan use the number 777-77-7777 when adding family member information in MAP.


Petition for adoption or placement agreement completed in English for dependent child Court order completed in English for dependents who are not biological or adopted children of the primary member.

Adopted Child(ren)
Adoption of a Grandchild(ren)

Certificate of birth completed in English and Dependent Grandchild Affidavit for children born to a covered dependent (grandchild), along with copy of current years filed Federal tax return for proof of financial dependency and residency.


First and last pages of the final divorce decree including court recorded date stamp and judge’s signature.

Spouse, Child(ren)
Continuation of Coverage for a Disabled Child(ren)

An Application for Coverage of Permanent and Totally Disabled Dependent Child affidavit for covered dependent children aged 26 or older and copy of current years filed Federal tax return for proof of financial dependency and residency.

Disabled Child(ren) over age 26
Loss of Other Coverage

A certificate of credible coverage, or a letter from the employer on the employer’s letterhead, stating that you(and listing any covered dependents)who have been removed from the plan you were previously covered under and the date that coverage will end.

Entire Family, Spouse, Child(ren)
Death of a DependentDeath CertificateSpouse, Child(ren)


Scan the required documentation and login to MAP. After you enter your login information, scroll to the bottom of the Member and Family Tab (homepage). You will see the Upload button; select browse and upload all required documents.

After you have uploaded the appropriate documentation for your change, follow these steps to complete your mid-year change. 

  1. Click the Mid-Year changes tab at the top of the page.
  2. Select - Start a new request
  3. Select a Member Request choice
  4. Select a Dependent request choice
  5. Make sure in the notes to explain your change fully indicating the date of the change and the specific coverage that is effected.

Premium Adjustment

Employees who make changes in coverage because of life events, may see a delay from the time they enroll or initiate a change in MAP to when the premium is deduced from their paychecks. Premium changes will be reflected on paychecks after the SEHP processes the enrollment or change and sends that information to KU.

  • As employees generally have 30 days in which to request a change because of a life event, the premium change could be retroactive and result in multiple premiums deducted from a paycheck.
  • If the retroactive premium adjustment will be greater than $500, the Benefits Office will send an email to inform you.
  • To minimize retroactive premium deductions, you are encouraged to enroll or make mid-year changes as early in the 30 day period as possible.

Premium Rates

For rates information, please visit the active employee booklet (pdf).

Updating Beneficiaries

Visit Changes & Life Events page to access a beneficiary form to change your Basic or Optional Group Life Insurance beneficiary. After the form is completed please forward to the HR Benefits office by either fax 785-864-5200 or by campus mail to “Human Resources – Benefits”.

Need Help?

KU Benefits is here to assist you.

Hotline: 785-864-7402 to speak to a Benefits Specialist (Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm CST)

Email: benefits@ku.edu

*An accessible version of the documents on this site will be made available upon request. Please contact our office at hrdept@ku.edu to request the document be made available in an accessible format.