Conducting an Interview
Each search committee will screen all applicants and conduct interviews with their top candidates. Below are a few important requirements to keep in mind:
- For all Faculty (not including Lecturers) and Academic Staff job postings, the search committee must follow the Excellence in Diversity Handbook for Recruiting and Hiring.
- For all other positions, the search committee must consist of a minimum of two people.
- KU encourages and promotes diversity and a consistent and equitable interviewing process for all candidates.
- Candidates selected for interview must meet all required qualifications as posted in the position announcement.
Recommendations for the Search Committee in Preparing for the Interview:
- Review guidelines and best practice tips in conducting virtual based interviews.
- Review the Unit Guide for Virtual Interview for Faculty, Executive Leaders, and Director Level Positions
- Interview a number of candidates to ensure a fair comparison. It is recommended to interview a minimum of three candidates, however virtual based interviewing may allow time to increase the pool of candidates interviewed broadening diversity.
- Ask only job-related questions and be consistent in what questions are asked among all candidates.
- Refer to the Interview Question Generator for examples of interview questions and to create an interview question guide.
- Schedule, and plan to offer the same or as similar of experience with each candidates.
- Provide candidates selected for interviews with links to virtual tours of campus:
If you require supplemental activities (i.e., assessments, skill exercise, presentation) during the interview process, contact your designated SSC representative or HRM Recruiter for review, approval, and suggestions of how to format certain activities for greater accessibility (i.e., closed captioning) for all participants.