Tuition Assistance for Employees
The purpose of the tuition assistance program is to promote and encourage the pursuit of higher education opportunities and professional development. KU provides eligible employees with assistance to cover tuition for one regular class per semester.
You are eligible to apply for the tuition assistance program if you are an University Support Staff member (USS) or a Unclassified Professional Staff member (UPS) who is appointed to a regular, 48% or greater appointment with at least six months of service by the start of classes.
You may be eligible to apply if you are a faculty or academic staff member who does not have a doctorate, or if you have a doctorate and require class credits for licensure, certification, or related purposes. Lecturers, pursuing a related terminal degree, with recurring academic year appointments may also be eligible to apply for this benefit.
You are encouraged to review the Tuition Assistance Program Policy to learn more about specific eligibility criteria and the application process.
- Fall: First Friday in July by 5:00 p.m. (If this day falls on a National Holiday, then the deadline will be the following Monday)
- Spring: First Friday in November by 5:00 p.m.
- Summer: First Friday in April by 5:00 p.m.
Please submit your application on time. Late applications will only be approved if extenuating circumstances prevented timely submission as determined by the Tuition Assistance Committee.
Before starting the application process, please be sure to have the following documentation ready to submit along with your application, as your application cannot be approved without it:
- A brief statement explaining how this educational experience will benefit you and the University. If you are not doing course work at KU, please explain why (statement required each time you apply).
- A short statement from your supervisor showing his/her support (statement required each time you apply).
- If you are applying for the first time, please submit a copy of a transcript or a Degree Progress Report (DPR) » form for any prior college course work. Official transcripts are not required.
- If you are re-applying for assistance, please remember to provide a verification of grades for any prior courses completed through the tuition assistance program. If you have not yet received your grade, please remember to forward documentation upon completion of the clas
If you have the required documentation detailed above and you are familiar with the Tuition Assistance Policy, then you can start the application process by completing and submitting the Electronic Tuition Assistance Application.
The following information is important to keep in mind:
- To remain eligible for future tuition assistance awards, you must maintain an overall GPA of at least 2.0 for undergraduate programs and a 3.0 for graduate programs.
- Receiving a tuition assistance award does not guarantee you admission to the University of Kansas.
- Applying for admission is your responsibility and needs to be completed by the start of classes.
- If you need to withdraw from a class:
- Contact the Office of the University Registrar by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 785-864-4422 to initiate the withdrawal process.
- Contact the Bursar's Office » by email at email@example.com or by phone at 785-864-3322 for assistance with tuition adjustments.
- Please notify Human Resource Management by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 785-864-4946 of your decision to withdraw
- For more information, please refer to the Tuition Assistance FAQs.