Employee Health Insurance
The University of Kansas offers benefits eligible employees a comprehensive health insurance package that includes medical, dental, prescription drugs, and optional vision coverage.
All benefits eligible faculty and staff are eligible for employee health insurance.
KU contributes toward your semi-monthly health premiums. Your health insurance premiums are paid either pre-tax or post-tax and the total premium amount is determined based on the following:
- Whether you are a full-time or part-time employee
- The insurance plan(s) you select
- The dependents that are covered
- Any available credit under the HealthQuest Rewards Program
To view current plan and premium information, please refer to the 2017 Health Benefits Booklet. See a comparison of Plan A and Plan C. For information about the prior calendar year SEHP plan, please see the Plan Year 2016 Health Benefits Booklet.
Effective Date of Coverage
For new employees or employees newly eligible for coverage, enrollment is required within the first 31 calendar days of employment or eligibility and coverage is effective on the first day of the month following a 30 day waiting period. Below are some example scenarios to illustrate effective coverage dates based on the 30 day waiting period:
- Example 1: A new employee is hired on August 16, and completes enrollment on August 25. Based on the hire date and enrollment date, coverage will be effective on October 1.
- Example 2: A new employee is hired on August 4, and completes enrollment on September 1. Based on the hire date and enrollment date, coverage will be effective on October 1.
The State Employee Health Plan regulation states that a waiver of the 30 day waiting period can be sought only in the case where the "potential new employee is required to have insurance as a condition of obtaining a work visa for employment in the United States. If you believe you may be eligible for a waiver of the 30 day waiting period, please review the 30 Day Waiver FAQ, complete the Request for Waiver of 30 Day Waiting Period form and submit it to the Benefits Office by fax to 785-864-5200, or by campus mail to "Human Resources - Benefits". This Request for Waiver information must be received within 30 days of the date of hire.
Your enrollment in the health plan is voluntary.
To enroll in the State Employee Health Program, you will access the secure Membership Administration Portal (MAP) » and select “University of Kansas”. You will use your KU online ID and password to sign in.
If you need technical support using MAP, please call the MAP Help Desk at 1-800-832-5337 or send an email to email@example.com. For after hours support, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org (include your name, phone number, Kansas employee ID number and an explanation of your issue) and the MAP Help Desk will trouble shoot your issue and contact you within 24 hours with a resolution.
We strongly recommend you use a KU work or public lab computer on campus to enroll to ensure you are using a compatible browser that is properly configured. If you have questions related to your network data connection or browser, contact your departmental technical support staff. You also can contact the KU IT Customer Service Center at 785-864-8080 or email@example.com.
You can also utilize computers for online enrollment by visiting your departmental administrative office or Shared Service Center during business hours, or stopping by Benefits at 150 Carruth-O'Leary Hall, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Please review the State Employee Health Plan (SEHP) Guidebook for more information.
- Please visit Prepaid Summer Benefits and Coverage for Faculty and Staff to learn how summer benefit deductions will be taken for academic year faculty/academic staff who hold full academic year or spring semester regular appointments and who have an ongoing commitment for the upcoming fall semester.
- Benefits Affected by Out of Area Leaves and Sabbatical - Faculty and staff who leave the area for an extended period of time—on sabbatical, leave without pay, working overseas for the summer or other reasons—and who have concerns about their benefits should contact the Benefits Office at (785) 864-7402 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- To take any of the following actions, you will need to log in to MAP and access the necessary Forms under "Account Overview" and the "Forms" tab. If you have questions or need assistance, contact Benefits at (785) 864-7420 or email@example.com.
- The advance purchase of prescription drugs is authorized in certain circumstances and the RX State Advance Purchase Form must be completed and faxed back to Benefits at least 20 calendar days before the employee’s departure outside of the U.S.
- Employees and covered spouses who turn age 65 will need to complete the “TEFRA” Form in MAP to indicate the election to either i) remain in the SEHP or ii) to enroll in Medicare Parts A and B and drop the SEHP.
- To request consideration of covering a common-law spouse as a dependent (husband or wife) on your health insurance plan, you will need to complete the Common Law Marriage Form and upload supporting documentation in MAP.
- To communicate concerns, suggestions or requests concerning the SEHP, log into MAP and, under Account Overview, Mid-Year Benefits Changes Tab, click on Start a New Request and select the Communication Form.