Optional Group Life Insurance
Eligible employees can elect to supplement the basic group life insurance coverage that is paid for by the University with these optional group life insurance plans:
- State of Kansas Optional Group Life Insurance - Administered by the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS)
- Teachers and Employees Association (TEA) Life Insurance
This Optional Group Life Insurance Plan provides life insurance coverage in amounts that range from $5,000 to $400,000 in $5,000 increments. The plan is administered by KPERS and underwritten by The Standard Insurance Company.
New employees are eligible for an initial $250,000 of guaranteed coverage without proof of good health within 21 days of your date of hire. You must provide proof of good health for amounts over $250,000.
- Monthly premium rates for employee coverage
- Monthly premium rates for spousal coverage
- Monthly premium rates for child(ren) coverage, up to age 26: $1 for $10,000 or $2 for $20,000 (with a $0.20 monthly administrative charge). There is no age limit with disabled dependents.
Optional life insurance premiums are automatically deducted from your pay on an after-tax basis.
Application to the program must be made within 21 days of the date of hire to be eligible for the guaranteed amount of $250,000. Any amounts applied for after the initial enrollment period will be subject to medical underwriting as any amounts over the $250,000. You also can enroll your spouse in up to $25,000 guaranteed issue or up to $100,000 with medical underwriting. You can elect spousal and/or child(ren) coverage even if you do not elect optional group life insurance coverage for yourself. (KP&F employees must have employee optional coverage to be eligible for spousal coverage.)
Download and complete the enrollment form and send it to to the Benefits Office by fax to 785-864-5200, by campus mail to Carruth-O'Leary Hall, room #150, within 21 days of your hire date to ensure adequate processing time.
Additional Plan Information
- You can enroll your spouse in up to $25,000 guaranteed issue or up to $100,000 with medical underwriting. You can elect spousal coverage even if you do not elect optional group life insurance coverage for yourself. (KP&F employees must have employee optional coverage to be eligible for spousal coverage).
- You can enroll your child(ren)in up to $10,000 or $20,000 guaranteed issue without medical underwriting. You can elect child(ren) coverage even if you do not elect optional group life insurance coverage for yourself. (KP&F employees must have employee optional coverage to be eligible for child(ren) coverage).
- Please download and review the Optional Group Life Insurance Brochure for additional information about the plan.
The Teachers and Employee Association Term Life Insurance plan » provides optional life insurance protection in amounts from $10,000 to $500,000 in $10,000 increments. The plan is administered by the Teachers and Employees Association of the University of Kansas and underwritten by Reliance Standard.
New members are offered up to $100,000 of term life insurance, and up to $500,000 of accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) on a guaranteed issue (no medical question or exams) basis.
The option is available to faculty and staff who work at least 17.5 hours per week.
Visit Term Life Insurance » and utilize the "Rate Calculator" located on the bottom left-hand side of the page to determine your monthly rate based on your preferred coverage options. Once enrolled, your premiums will be electronically withdrawn from your designated banking account on a monthly basis.
To enroll, visit Term Life Insurance » and click on the "Apply Now" button located on the top right-hand side of the page.
Spousal and Child Coverage
- Your spouse is eligible for coverage to age 70 if you are an association member and your spouse is able to conduct the normal activities of a person of like age and gender, and is in good health.
- Spouses can apply for amounts of $5,000 to $250,000, in $5,000 increments. A spouse of a new member may apply for up to $50,000 of life insurance and $250,000 of AD&D on a guaranteed issue basis. Spouses are able to purchase a stand alone policy without the Member purchasing coverage.
- Child(ren)'s coverage is available up to $10,000, in $2,000 increments for both life insurance and AD&D on a guaranteed issue basis for new members. One premium covers all eligible children, ages 6 months to age 25.