The University of Kansas offers two Travel Insurance plans:
A) Benefit-eligible employees, who have basic group life insurance coverage, have a Travel Assistance Benefit
B) Faculty and staff have a Business Travel Insurance benefit (Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance and Business Travel Accident Insurance) while traveling on University business as welll as incidental leisure travel up to seven days before and after the scheduled of the travel for University business.
Travel Assistance Benefit
Benefits-eligible employees with basic Group Life Insurance are covered with Travel Assistance from the Standard Insurance Company for themselves, their spouse and children, through age 25.
The cost of this benefit is paid for by the University of Kansas and is included in the basic Group Life Insurance coverage.
All eligible employees are automatically enrolled when they are hired od become covered by the basic Group Life Insurance plan. Please note KP&F members are only eligible for Travel Assistance if enrolled in the State of Kansas Optional Group Life Insurance plan. There is no additional cost to the member of employer for the benefit.
Additional Information and Contact Information
Business Travel Insurance
Regardless of funding source, all travel outside the state of Kansas must have an approved Concur Travel Request at least 14 days prior to domestic travel, and 30 days prior to international travel (i.e., the “14/30 Rule”). If the need for travel first arises within the applicable 14/30-day period, the traveler must (a) submit the travel request as soon as possible, and (b) receive approval at least one day prior to departure. If you have not attended training on how to create a Concur Travel Request yourself, one can be created for you by notifying the appropriate individual in the department processing travel or the unit’s shared service center of your intent to travel. If you have questions regarding your Travel Request, please contact the Financial Services Help Desk by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 785-864-5419 or 785-864-1871.
Coverage exclusions can be found in the Summary of Benefits.
Business Travel Insurance
- KU's Business Travel Policy is underwritten by AIG and also provides a $100,000 accidental death and dismemberment benefit for covered individuals. For more information and coverage details, please download and review the Summary of Benefits.
Emergency Travel Assistance Services
- Emergency Travel Assistance Services are provided by AIG. For more information about the plan, please download and review the AIG Travel Guard Services and the Travel ID Card, which includes a printable ID card with AIG's contact information.
International Travel Insurance
- International travel insurance is also provided by AIG.
- The AIG ID card should be downloaded and printed before traveling which includes emergency response contact information.
- To learn more or access your assistance website services, visit and download the AIG Travel assistance mobile app on Apple or Android, or visit aig.com/us/travelguardassistance
Travel Planning Resources
- Please visit the Travel Services website for information on the University of Kansas travel process and resources to help you create your travel arrangements.
- View Academic Work in Countries with Federal Travel Warnings » for helpful resources and important information about traveling to countries currently under a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning.