The information below provides an overview of retirement benefits. For more details, please contact the numbers provided below, or benefits by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 785-864-4946.
When Can I Retire?
- Please refer to KPERS Retirement Plan for details on when you can retire.
- Please refer to the KBOR Retirement Plan for details on when you can retire.
- Faculty & Academic Staff should submit a letter to their supervisor with their retirement date as soon as the date is finalized. (Please see KU's policy on resignation and retirement dates for academic year faculty.)
- Unclassified professional staff and university support staff should submit a letter to their supervisor with their retirement date as soon as the date is finalized.
When you retire from the University of Kansas, you have the right to remain in the state's group health insurance program by paying the premium. Your spouse and qualified dependents can also remain on the health insurance contract.
If you receive KPERS retirement benefits, you may be qualified to a $4,000 death benefit that will be paid to the named beneficiary.
Accumulated Vacation and/or Sick Leave
When you retire, a lump sum payment will be made for your accumulated vacation and/or sick leave hours.
Vacation Leave -
Vacation leave of up to 176 hours will be paid at termination of employment, and up to 240 hours at retirement or upon retirement eligible termination.
Sick Leave - Faculty, Unclassified and University Support Staff
Sick leave will be paid, only at retirement or upon retirement eligible termination, based upon years of service and accumulation as follows:
|Years of Service||Hours (Days Accumulated||Hours (Days Paid)|
|8 years||800 hours (100 days)||up to 240 hours (30 days)|
|15 years||1000 hours (125 days)||up to 360 hours (45 days)|
|25 years||1200 hours (150 days)||up to 480 hours (60 days)|
To learn about emeritus conditions and procedures, please refer to the Emeritus Status Policy ».
Working At KU After Retirement
The University has a policy regarding reemployment of KU Retirees based on IRS Guidelines and the Retiree Rehire Policy ». There are also special Working After Retirement rules that impact KPERS retirees, regardless of the entity from which the KPERS retiree retired (e.g., school district, city, county, state of Kansas agency). For more information see the Working at KU After Retirement information on this webpage: http://humanresources.ku.edu/mandatory-kpers
- Please review the State Employee Health Plan (SEHP) Retiree Health Insurance » for more information.
- Please review Information for University Retirees and Phased/ Prospective Retirees Document (PDF).
- The Kansas Department of Revenue has ruled that income derived from any approved Kansas board of regents 403(b) plan is exempt from Kansas State income tax. The Kansas Individual Income Tax and Food Sales Refund booklet provides information on Schedule S Line by Line instructions. Part A addresses modifications to Federal Adjusted Gross Income and Subtractions from Federal Adjusted Gross Income include “Line A10– Exempt Retirement Benefits” which includes the Kansas Board of Regents plan as well as other listed “Kansas Pension Plans”. For more information, please review the Kansas Department of Revenue Ruling #12-88-1 » and Kansas Income Tax Treatment of Certain Payments Received from the Regents Retirement Plan Notice 05-05 ».
|Retiree Identification Card||KU Card Services||Call 785-864-5845 for more information.|
Take KU Retiree ID card to Parking Services: two parking permit options available: one is free and one has a fee (for rates, please visit Parking »). Retiree is defined as “any faculty or staff person who has retired from KU who has not returned to active employment on campus equal or greater than .5 FTE.” For more information, please call 785-864-PARK.
|Lied Center Tickets||Lied Center Box Office||Contact the Lied Center for information about tickets and discounts at 785-864-2787|
|Kansas Athletics||Allen Field House||Retirees can purchase faculty/staff tickets. Call 785-864-3141 for more information.|
|Recreational Facilities||Robinson Gymnasium Recreation Center||Present ID for use of facilities and locker. Call 785-864-3546 for more information.|
|Library usage||University Libraries||Full library privileges. Call 785-864-8983 for more information.|
|Sprague Apartments||KU Endowment Association||Retiree apartments available for lease. Call 785-832-7400 for more information|
|KU Retirees Club||Endacott Society||Organization for retired faculty, staff and spouses. Call 785-864-4760 for more information.|
|KU Email||IT Account Management||Your KU E-mail account can be maintained as a retiree. Call 785-864-8080 for more information.|
|University Directories||University Relations||Retirees with emeritus status are automatically included if living in Kansas and the KC metro area; other retirees who live in Kansas and the KC metro area are included upon request. Call 785-864-7100 for more information.|
|KU Today e-Newsletter||Office of News and Media Relations||Retirees will receive the newsletter » via email. Call 785-864-7100 for more information.|