Open enrollment occurs during the month of October and is your annual opportunity to change plans, and add or drop eligible dependents from coverage. The only other opportunity you have to make changes is when you experience a qualifying life event.
2017 Plan Year
Online Open Enrollment will be held from October 1 - October 31 and changes will be effective January 1. Most employees will not need to participate in Open Enrollment and will keep the same medical, dental and/or vision benefit elections from the current Plan Year (PY). Online Open Enrollment must be completed by midnight October 31. We strongly encourage you to enroll early in October in case you need assistance. Please note that October 1 is a Saturday and the SEHP and KU Offices will be closed.
You MUST participate in Open Enrollment if any of the following applies to you:
- New for PY 2017, there will be a $6.00 semi-monthly premium for member only Dental Coverage. If you want to drop (or opt out of dental coverage), you must do so during Open Enrollment. For more information, see page 12.
- If you participate in a Flexible Spending Account (health and/or dependent care), enrollment is required every year.
- If you are a Plan C participant with an HSA – you need to elect your annual contribution amount, otherwise the amount will be defaulted to the minimum amount of $600/year.
- If you are enrolled in HealthyKIDS, you must apply annually to participate in the program and dependents must currently be enrolled in coverage or newly enrolled during Open Enrollment.
- If you want to change health plans, add or drop vision coverage, add, drop or change dependent medical, dental or vision coverage, and/or change the tax status of premium payments.
Special Changes to Note - Beginning January 1, 2017
1. Delta Dental – Dental premiums of $6.00 semi-monthly will be charged for Employee Only coverage. You can drop (or opt out of) dental coverage or enroll in a different coverage tier than medical enrollment. (See pages 4 and 12.)
2. Plan A: new three-tiered deductible, increased office copays and increased combined out of pocket maximum.
3. Plan C High Deductible Health Plan: increased deductible and new 20% coinsurance added with increased combined out of pocket maximum
4. Plan C - Health Savings and Health Reimbursement Account Employer Contributions will be made quarterly. Employer contributions will decrease, however, employees and spouses (if covered) are each eligible to earn up to $500 in Employer contributions through HealthQuest activities. (See pages 7, 15 and 24.)
Open Enrollment Portal –Member Administration Portal (MAP)
To participate in Open Enrollment and/or to view current elections, click here to access MAP and select “University of Kansas.” To sign into MAP, you will use your KU online ID and password, the same credentials you use to log into your work computer.
Online Open Enrollment
We strongly recommend you use a KU workstation or campus computer lab to enroll during Open Enrollment to ensure you are using a compatible browser that is properly configured. If you experience issues logging in, first try clearing your browser’s cache (instructions). If you need additional help or have questions, contact your IT support staff. You also can contact the KU IT Customer Service Center at 785-864-8080 or email@example.com. In-person support is available at the Daisy Hill Commons on the 2nd floor. All locations are open 8 am – 8 pm, Monday –Thursday and 8 am – 5 pm, Friday. The Daisy Hill location is open on Saturday, 10 am – 6 pm. On Sunday, only phone and email support (785-864-8080 or firstname.lastname@example.org) are available from noon to 8 pm.
Open Enrollment Meetings and Webinars
Reservations are not required to attend the October 19th presentation at 9:30am or 1:30pm (presentations will be the same). You can also watch the October 19th presentations online; click here for more information.
Your new ID cards will be issued as follows:
- BCBS, Caremark, Delta and Surency will send new cards to all members
- Aetna will send all Plan A members new cards and members who make changes
- Quest will send cards only to new members or members who make changes in coverage
- NueSynergy will send all FSA accounts a debit card
Note: If you have moved, please ensure that your current mailing address has been updated. You can see your contact information in MAP, once you log in, under Contact Information. This is the address that will be used by the insurance providers and will ensure prompt delivery of your new insurance cards.
You will also need to update your address in KU’s HR/Pay database by using Self-Service at hr.ku.edu (Main Menu>Self Service>Personal Information> Home and Mailing Address - select the red pencil icon to edit).
If you need a flu shot, you can participate in the KU flu shot clinic in the Kansas Union between the Open Enrollment meetings on October 19th from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. For more information on dates, times, and locations of other KU flu shot clinics, please visit Student Health ». To learn more about the SEHP statewide flu shot clinics, please visit Flu Shots.
The SEHP announced that the State of Kansas Health Care Commission approved a new vendor, Colonial Life, that will offer individual voluntary insurance products including accident, cancer, critical illness and hospital confinement coverage. You do not have to participate in the SEHP to take advantage of these offerings. Colonial Life will be available at several sites throughout the State, including at the October 19th meetings on the Lawrence campus, to provide one-on-one educational opportunities regarding their products. Their representatives will be fully trained on the SEHP programs and will be able to communicate important updates on the benefit offerings to employees in a one-on-one setting and/or a via call center. To learn more about Colonial Life, go to http://www.coloniallife.com/.
- Please download and refer to the Open Enrollment Booklet for plan information, comparison charts, and premium information.
- Please note that premium information reflected for your elections in the MAP » portal may not be accurate. The premiums that will be deducted beginning in January will be based on your full-time/part-time status in KU’s HR/Pay database.
- Please note: If you add a spouse and/or child(ren) you must upload documentation to the secure MAP » portal when making the change and no later than October 31st, otherwise the dependent(s) will not be enrolled. Documentation needed to add a spouse, includes: a marriage license or the most current year’s filed tax return (pages 1 and 2 with both employee and spouse’s signatures on the last page; you can white out income information). A birth certificate is needed to add a child. For other forms of verification, please review Other Acceptable Documentation ».
- Coverage periods for both health insurance and flexible spending accounts will be monthly and will begin the first day of the month. Plan year 2016 will be effective January 1, 2017, and the first premium will be deducted from the check dated January 13, 2017.
- Academic year faculty and staff with positions designated as less than twelve-month will have the following deduction schedule:
- Health insurance premiums will be taken from the first two paychecks during the first four months of the year (Jan – Apr) and the last four months of the year (Sept – Dec). Additionally, health insurance premiums for the summer months will be deducted in advance during the spring.
- All deductions for Dependent Care FSA, Health Care FSA (both regular and Limited Scope) and Health Savings Account will be taken from 16 checks (the first two checks of each month from January through April and September through December) These deductions will not be taken from any other paycheck received during the year.
- Benefit election statements will be emailed to your email address that is registered in MAP » each time you save elections in MAP ». This statement is not a final notification of your elections. Once your elections have been reviewed and approved by the SEHP after Open Enrollment has ended, you may view your final elections in MAP.