The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) provides two new types of employee paid leave for absences directly related to COVID-19. Employees who currently are unable to work because campus is closed, you must complete the FFCRA form. In addition to employees who must complete the FFCRA form because they are currently not working due to campus closure, the leave categories under the Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act and the Emergency Family Leave Act are an option for employees who are currently working or teleworking but may need to take leave due to COVID-19.
Leave Types and Eligibility
Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act (EPSL) and Emergency Family Medical Leave Expansion Act (EFMLA) provide eligible employees leave based on the following circumstances:
- Employee is subject to a federal, state or local quarantine or isolation order.
- Employee has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine.
- Employee is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and is seeking a medical diagnosis.
- Employee is caring for an individual subject to quarantine/isolation order or has been advised to follow quarantine directives.
- Employee is caring for the employee’s child due to a school or child care provider closure due to COVID-19.
- Employee is experiencing any other substantially similar symptoms of COVID-19 as defined by federal guidance or a substantially similar condition as specified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the Secretaries of the Treasury and Labor.
After you complete the FFCRA form, HRM staff will determine your eligibility for EPSL and/or EFMLA and whether the leave request is approved.
Please review the Families First Coronavirus Response Act policy posted in the KU Policy Library and the COVID-19 Leave FAQS. If you have questions, please contact Human Resource Management at firstname.lastname@example.org.