Architectural Accessibility and Inclusion Committee
The Architectural Accessibility and Inclusion Committee was established in 1995 specifically to review proposed building design drawings and to advise KU’s Design and Construction Management department on accessibility issues related to newly constructed and renovated facilities.
The committee’s mission is to improve campus accessibility through providing input on new construction projects, managing KU’s master transition plan, and incorporating Universal Accessible Design concepts into KU’s Design Standards.
The committee includes ex officio members, representatives of specified university offices,faculty, staff, and students. It is expected that a wide range of disabilities will be represented by the faculty, staff, and student members of the committee. Ex officio members serve as long as they remain in their positions. Other representatives serve one-year terms and may be reappointed. All members have voting privileges. The committee meets quarterly.
Individuals serving in the following roles constitute the committee membership:
- Chair: Director, ADA Resource Center for Equity and Accessibility and ADA Education (ex officio)
- Assistant to the Chair: Project Manager for ADA Quality Compliance, Design and Construction Management (ex officio)
- Director, Parking and Transit (ex officio)
- Assistant Vice Provost, Capital Planning and Space Management (ex officio)
- KU Fire Marshall (ex officio)
- Representative from the Academic Achievement and Access Center
- Representative from Human Resource Management
- Representative from Student Housing
- Representative from the KU Memorial Unions
- Representative from Athletics
- At least one member of the faculty with a disability
- At least one member of the university staff with a disability
- Students with a disability
- At least one member of the local community with a disability
Each year the committee produces an annual report to the Vice Provost for Diversity and Equity. The most recent version of the progress report and appendices are available for download:
- Annual Progress Report of the Architectural Barriers Committee, January 2013 – December 2013
For more information about the Architectural Barriers Committee, please contact our office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 785-864-4946.